Not everyone is fond of spiders, as some people find them creepy. But those who chose to have it as a pet are willing to do everything for its sake.
They spend some time learning about its behavior and needs. Apart from taking care of it, naming it is essential just like with other animals.
What are the best spider names? Some of the spider names are Silkie, Andie, Midnight, Aragaog, Twitch, Rufus, Tobias, Marshall, Hunter, Venom, Kisses, Velvet, Skittles, and Quake. You can choose any of these to call your spider whenever you have time to hang out with it.
If you think you need more name choices, don’t worry, as you can find a long list of spider names in this article. You’ll surely find the one that suits your spider.
Table of Contents
How Did the Spider Get Its Name?
Spiders are arachnids from the order of Araneae. They have eight legs, fangs, and the ability to spin a web in various ways.
Spider is from the Arabic word ‘spithre,’ which is derived from the old English word ‘spinnan,’ which means ‘to spin.’
What to Consider in Giving Spiders a Name?
When giving spiders a name, you have to consider their appearance and mannerisms. For instance, you can name a tarantula ‘Fuzzy’ due to its hairy body. It also ejects sharp barbs from its abdomen when it feels threatened, so you can call it ‘Barb.’
Funny Spider Names
Not everyone in your family can be welcoming to your pet spider. To ease the tension, name your pet one of these funny names:
Cute Spider Names
It’s not strange if you find your spider cute, even though not everyone would agree. There’s nothing wrong with appreciating the eight-legged creature, as people have different opinions.
For instance, you find it fascinating that tarantulas are hairy and jumping spiders look dancing when walking. Thus, any of the names below will suit your pet spider:
Cool Spider Names
Here are the names that you can give to your chill, low-key spider:
- Lady Grey
Badass Spider Names
Here are the suitable names for a tough-looking and intimidating spider:
- The Dark Knight
- Big Show
- Ultimate Warrior
Good Spider Names
- Cara Mia
- Crazy 8
Female Spider Names
You may notice that female spider names are longer than those of males. They’re more prized since they’re bigger and have more character.
Fantasy Spider Names
If you think about it, there are numerous spider characters in fiction stories. So you can use them in naming your spider, and here they are:
- Shelob – A demon in the ‘Lord of the Rings’ takes the form of a spider.
- Aragog – This is the talking spider owned by Hagrid in Harry Potter.
- Anansi – In Akan folklore, this is a spider character.
- Miss Flora Spider – It’s one of the bestseller children’s books authored by David Kirk.
- Boris the Spider – This is a song written by John Entwistle.
- Spider-Ham – It’s a spider that was given life in Marvel comics.
Famous Spider Names
- Harriet the Spider – A character that has appeared in movies and television numerous times. It was inspired by the tarantula with the striped knee that is kept in Chicago’s Peggy Baert Nature Museum.
- Diane Web-ber – This name is copied from an American actress, dancer, and model.
- Tarantula Jolie – Just like your spider, Angelina Jolie is a charismatic woman.
- Quentin Tarantulino – If you’re a fan of Quentin Tarantino, you’ll immediately know the modification to suit a spider.
Quirky Spider Names For Girls
- Alice – This name is from ‘Alice in Wonderland,’ and it means ‘noble.’
- Cuddles – It might be ironic to name a spider because it’s not completely cuddly, but this one sounds cute.
- Maleficent – As a connotation of dark beauty made by Disney.
- Coco – It’s derived from the word ‘cocoa,’ which is the source of chocolate. It’s perfect for a brown-colored spider.
- Button – You’d agree that this one is cute. It’s from a French word that means a person who makes and sells buttons.
- Muffet – Everyone is familiar with the children’s rhyme entitled ‘Little Miss Muffet.’ While Miss Muffet is sitting on a tuffet, a spider scares her away.
- Jello – It’s the other word for sweet gelatin, which is similar to your sweet spider.
- Sugar – The crystallized sweet condiment is suitable for your spider.
- Widow – This is one of the spider species and a nice name too.
- Spindle – Just like a spindle, a spider weaves its web.
- Scarlet – Aside from representing red color, this is the name of the actress who plays ‘Black Widow’ in Marvel movies.
Quirky Male Names For Spiders
- Toby – Toby McGuire is one of the actors who played Spiderman.
- Miles – This is connected with Spiderman: Into Spider Verse.
- Parker – Peter Parker is the guy behind Spiderman.
- Webster – It’s derived from the French word that means ‘weaver,’ which is a word that best describes spiders.
- Zorro – The Mask of Zorro is a famous movie. Zorro is a Spanish word that means ‘fox’ or ‘sly.’
- Pythagoras – The meaning of this word is ‘marketplace’ or ‘assembly.’
- Malvolio – A name that means ‘ill will,’ and it’s used for a character in ‘Twelfth Night.’
- Holland – Tom Holland is another actor who plays the role of Spiderman.
- Jack – This means ‘God is gracious.’
- Hunter – You would agree that this is a great name for spiders.
- Loki – A name that fits a mischievous spider as it means ‘God of mischief.’
- Garfield – Andrew Garfield also plays Spiderman in movies.
- Harry – There’s a scene in which Harry Potter was almost near death when he had an encounter with a spider.
- Daddy Long Legs – This is another term for cellar spiders.
- Aragog – It’s the leader of spiders in Harry Potter.
Quirky Gender Neutral Spider Pet Names
- Venom – This word means ‘poison’ or ‘malice,’ and this is the name of the arch-enemy of Spiderman.
- Woof – You may want to name your pet after the sound made by the dogs when barking.
- Twitch – It sounds cute, but it means ‘to pull apart.’
- Spinner – A term for a person who spins a thread.
- Skreech – A word that means ‘shrill sound or cries.’
- Nugget – This may be used when describing a person who is silly or strange, so you may want to use this for your pet spider too.
- Cloud – While it means ‘nebula’ or ‘visible vapor,’ it’s a suitable name for spiders of any gender.
- Fuzzy Wuzzy – With hairy spider legs, these words are appropriate as they mean ‘covered with fur.’
- Giggles – This is related to laughter, just like a quirky spider.
- Jumper – It refers to loose clothing, and it relates to a spider that likes jumping around.
- Jinx – It’s an adorable name for a spider with the meaning ‘spell or charm.’
- Itsy Bitsy – Another children’s rhyme entitled ‘Itsy Bitsy Spider.’
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Pet Spiders Friendly?
Traditionally, pet spiders are not friendly. But they’re docile, and they allow humans to touch them. Some pet owners report that their spiders responded well when taken to group and school demonstrations. Spiders will only bite or scrape special hair when threatened.
What Is the Friendliest Spider Ever?
Chikunia bilde is the friendliest spider ever due to its demeanor towards other spiders and humans. A researcher from Royal Holloway University discovered this species in Bali, Indonesia.
Do Pet Spiders Recognize Their Owners?
Harvard researchers only discovered that spiders can distinguish between animate and inanimate things.
Although this sounds amazing because this is only the ability of humans and some vertebrates, this doesn’t give the spiders the skill to recognize their owners.
What Is the Safest Spider to Have as a Pet?
The safest spider is African Baboons, Mexican Redleg, Costa Rican Zebra, Trinidad Chevron, Honduran Curly Hair, or any Pinktoe species.
These are tarantula species that are more docile and aren’t highly venomous compared to others.
Can a Spider Show Affection?
Unlike dogs and cats, a spider can’t show affection.
How Do You Befriend a Spider?
Befriending a spider is not necessary at all. It’s best to let it be and attend to its needs, like giving it food.
How Much Is a Pet Spider?
A pet spider can cost from $25 to $75, depending on the species.
Do Spiders Like to Be Petted?
Although there are tarantulas recommended for pets because they’re docile, it’s still best not to hold or pet them. They can still bite and have hairs that can cause severe skin and eye reactions.
Once you’re interested in exotic pets, you’ll have the intention to get a spider. It’s easy to take care of after you place it in a jar or terrarium.
It also needs a name, just like other pet animals. Although it doesn’t respond just like dogs, a name is important, considering its part of your household.
List of Sources
Reed, R., Newton, B. (2004). PET BUGS: Exotic Arthropods. Department of Entomology, University of Kentucky.
Siliezar, J. (2021). Harvard study shows that jumping spiders can identify biological motion. Harvard University.
Tarantulas: Terrible or Terrific! Cornell University.